Looking for a delicious and healthy hot chocolate, with a twist? This is it, this vegan & healthy coconut hot chocolate is rich and delicious but also cruelty-free. It’s made with simple ingredients like unsweetened cacao powder, coconut cream, dark chocolate, and coconut or soy milk.
Ingredients you’ll need
Soy or coconut milk or any other unsweetened plant-based milk!
Vegan dark chocolate – the chocolate makes the hot chocolate even creamier and adds to its sweetness. I won’t be using any other sweetener as I enjoy my drinks not so sweet, but feel free to add 1 tsp of maple syrup, agave, some brown sugar, stevia, or xylitol. Start small, and adjust the sweetness to your taste.
Cacao powder – which is going to give a strong chocolate flavor to your hot chocolate.
Coconut cream for the creaminess and nutty flavor.
Pinch of salt to enhance all the flavors.
Can I use cocoa powder instead of cacao powder?
Although they look very similar, cacao powder is the wholesome version of cocoa powder. Cacao powder is usually composed of 100% cacao and doesn’t have the added sugars and dairy, being the perfect vegan option. You could substitute the cacao powder with cocoa although you’d be adding more sugars to your hot chocolate as well as increasing its sweetness and decreasing its chocolatey flavor. If you’re more into sweeter drinks and less rich hot chocolates you could add cocoa instead of cacao. I personally prefer the cacao version as I prefer my drinks on the stronger and less sweet side!
As for the health benefits cacao powder and is less processed, being packed with more disease-fighting nutrients than cocoa powder. It is richer in flavanols which have antioxidant, heart-protective, and anti-cancer properties. And it’s also higher in iron, fiber, and magnesium. For me, using cocoa powder it’s a win-win situation, but feel free to use whichever you have on your pantry!
Healthy Coconut Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups (500ml) soy or coconut milk
- 2 tsp (5g) cacao powder
- 2 or 3 squares of vegan dark chocolate depending on how rich you like your chocolate
- 2 tbsp (40g) coconut cream
- pinch salt
Your favorite toppings
- Plant-based whipped cream coconut cream, chocolate shavings, shredded coconut
- Add all the ingredients into a small pan.
- Heat everything over low heat, whisking constantly until warm.
- Serve while hot and add your favorite toppings. You could add plant-based whipped cream, coconut cream, or marshmallows for a more decadent version. If you’d like to keep things on the healthier side, add some frothed coconut beverage and top with chocolate shavings.
I love seeing pictures of your remakes of Zest’s recipes. If you try this recipe take a picture and tag @zest.andthecity on Instagram or use the hashtag #zestandthecity, so I can see and share your remakes. Join our community on Instagram, Facebook and, YouTube!