This is not your average banana oatmeal. This delicious, gooey and warm oatmeal will make you crave for more. The warm caramelized banana, crunchy almonds and creamy peanut butter are the perfect combination of nutrients to start your Saturday morning – packed with slow release-carbs, good monounsaturated fats and protein this oatmeal will give you a great amount of slow release energy, that will last all of your morning.
CARAMELIZED BANANA OATMEAL
SERVES: 2 persons
PREPARATION TIME: 15 min
COOKING TIME: 10 min
CHARACTERISTICS: Vegan, (possibly) Gluten Free, Oil-Free, Refined-Sugar Free
2 Cups unsweetened plant milk of choice (I went with soy milk)
1 Cup rolled oats
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Large banana
3 Tbsp sliced almonds
1 Tbsp 100% natural peanut or almond butter
1. Add the oats, plant milk, half of the maple syrup and the vanilla extract to a small pot.
2. Let it cook in low heat for 10 minutes or until the oats thicken.
3. While the porridge cooks, slice the banana in quarters into a bowl and pour the maple syrup on top of it. Give it a mix with your hands, until all the bananas are coated in syrup.
4. To a hot pan, add the almond slices and let them cook for for 3 to 4 minutes in medium heat. Be ware as they burn easily. When golden put them to a small plate and reserve.
5. Add the banana to the hot pan. Let it cook for about 3 minutes or until it becomes soft on the inside and with its edges golden.
6. Pour the porridge into a bowl and top it with the “fried” bananas. Add some peanut butter and sprinkle the bowl with almonds. Serve while warm and enjoy!