This Vegan and Healthier Plum Crumble is delicious and perfect to avoid wasting during the plum season. Made with prunes, whole-wheat flour, oats, and just enough sugar, this crumble is perfect to serve as a dessert or as a healthy sweet snack or breakfast, if you give the ice-cream a skip!
Ingredients you’ll need to make this Vegan & Healthier Plum Crumble:
Plums – one of the fruits of the season – you’ll find them from May to October, with their peak season in July and August. They’re packed with vitamin C, A, K and so much flavour. If you need a way to use all of your plums ripening in the fruit bowl (all at the same time, of course!) this is it!
Whole-wheat flour – I’m using a part of whole-wheat flour to guarantee the crispiness of the crumble, but you can use other types of flour if you’d like.
Oat flour – I’ve tried using only oat flour on my crumbles, but… it doesn’t get as crispy as when I use part whole-wheat flour.
Old-fashioned oats – a powerhouse when it comes to manganese, phosphorus and thiamin B1! Also packed with fibre, which helps to delay the absorption of sugars, and some protein – which makes this crumble (at least for me) a nutritious enough dish to have as a snack or breakfast (especially if you add a dollop of thick protein-rich yogurt).
Cinnamon – it enhances all the flavours, giving the crumble a warmness and sweetness that I love.
Brown sugar – just enough!
Other desserts you might enjoy!
Tropical Healthy and Vegan Panna Cotta
Banana Berries Chocolate Shell Nice Cream
Healthy-ish Santa Chocolate Chip Cookies
Grilled Pineapple with Coconut Cream and Lime
2 Minutes Vegan & Healthy Brownie For One
Healthy Apple and Red Berries Crisp
Vegan & Healthier Plum Crumble
- 1 kg plums about 15 plums, pitted and sliced
- Half tsp cinnamon
- 100 g whole wheat flour or oat flour
- 100 g oat flour
- 100 g old fashioned oats
- 100 g packed brown sugar
- 100 g vegan butter or coconut oil solid
- First, preheat the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- Start by cutting the plums in halves, remove the pit and then cut them into slices.
- Place them in a tray and sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 tbsp of sugar. Give a gentle mix.
- Then add all the crumble ingredients to a bowl and mix a spoon or with your hands, until you have a crumbled texture.
- Top the plums with the crumble.
- Place the tray in the oven and let cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crumble is golden!
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a peppermint leaf and enjoy!
I love seeing pictures of your remakes of Zest’s recipes. If you try this Vegan & Healthier Plum Crumble snap a picture and tag @zest.andthecity on Instagram or use the hashtag #zestandthecity, so I can see and share your remakes. Join our community on Instagram, Facebook and, YouTube!