For all my savory breakfast lovers, a Mexican sweet potato bowl. This one is also perfect as a quick lunch or wholesome dinner.
MEAL PREP TIPS!
I like to always have black beans, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted vegetables and fresh chopped vegetables always ready, so when I am in a rush I can assemble a meal in less than 5 minutes. Just roast the sweet potatoes and some veggies, like pumpkin, zuchini, carrots and broccoli and store them in air tight containers for a maximum of 4 days in the fridge. You can also wash, cut and store different veggies in airtight containers or in jars with water. Good vegetables to prep ahead are, just to name a few, bell peppers, carrots, red cabbage, celery, kale and cherry tomatoes.
You can prepare the different components of this bowl ahead and in the morning or when you are in a rush, you just have to heat everything and assemble your nutritious and complete meal!
Bowl Mexicana de Batata Doce
- 2 Cups of previously soaked beans or canned beans
- 1 Medium onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 c. de sopa azeite
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tsp cominhos
- 1 Tsp oregano
- 3 c. de sopa cooked quinoa
- 3 c. de sopa black beans
- Roasted sweet potato
- Roasted bell peppers
- Roasted cherry tomatoes
- Parsley or cilantro leaves
- Lime wedge
- Half of a lime juice
- Some black pepper
- 2 c. de sopa of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp brown sugar to enhance the flavors
- 1/2 Tsp chilly flakes
- 1 Small pressed garlic clove
- Sal a gosto
- Start by peeling and chopping the onion and garlic cloves and add them to a saucepan with the olive oil.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until they get translucent and golden and season them with black pepper, bay leaf, cumin, and oregano.
- Add 2 cups of previously soaked beans or canned beans to the saucepan.
- If you’re using canned beans, get rid of the liquid because its sodium content is usually too high.
- Depending on how salty your canned beans are, you can now add a pinch of salt.
- Cook them in low to medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes if using canned beans or for 1 to 2 hours on low heat if using soaked beans.
- Throw some chopped roasted sweet potatoes to a medium skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil – I like to leave mine to sauté for a little bit longer so they get golden and crispy on the edges
- Add chopped red bell peppers and cherry tomatoes to the skillet with and let them cook.
- Cook some quinoa and add 3 tbsp to a bowl, along with 3 tbsp of previously cooked black beans.
- Join in the potatoes, roasted tomatoes, and bell peppers.
- Then add some avocado slices, some fresh parsley or cilantro, and a lime wedge.
- You can season your bowl with some fresh grind black pepper, sea salt, and lime juice.
- If you want you can also prepare a simple lime dressing by mixing all the lime dressing ingredients.
If you try this recipe take a picture and tag @zest.andthecity on Instagram or use the hashtag #zestandthecity, I would love to see your recreations. Join our community on Instagram, Facebook e YouTube! Love, Ana 💛