Today I am going to share with you the recipe for this delicious and quick Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. This one is an adaptation of a classic salad my mom used to make – a chickpea salad with canned tuna, lots of fresh parsley or coriander, onion, and garlic. I wanted to make a vegan version, so I omitted the tuna and added some more delicious veggies.
This one is super easy to make and I’m sure you have all the ingredients in your pantry and fridge. You’ll need cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, tomato, olive oil, lemon, coriander, dill, and garlic. Super fresh and perfect to take with you to the beach or to have on your work lunch break, as this salad is best when left to rest for 1 to 2 hours. This resting time allows the veggies to marinate in the lemon juice and causes the flavors to intensify.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1/3 of bell pepper any color
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 can of chickpeas 14oz or 400g drained
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 c. de sopa azeite
- 1 c. de sobremesa sal
- half tsp chilly flakes
- 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves
- lots of dried dill
- Peel and cut a small cucumber in little pieces, as well as a ripe tomato.
- You also want to finely cut red onion and a third of bell pepper (any color you like).
- And finely cut some fresh coriander.
- Now rinse and drain a can of chickpeas and add it to the bowl.
- Mix everything and let’s season it.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, chilly flakes, the crushed garlic clove, and lots of dried dill.
- If you have the time, allow the salad to rest in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
- You can add some more protein if you want and need, like some tempeh or tofu.
Call to action – If you try this recipe take a picture and tag @zest.andthecity on Instagram or use the hashtag #zestandthecity, I would love to see your recreations. Join our community on Instagram, Facebook e YouTube! Love, Ana 💛