A delicious and protein-rich chickpea filling, perfect to spread on sandwiches or have on toast. Made with chickpeas, onion, hummus, parsley, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, and spices. This is the second recipe of my back-to-school special video “healthy & plant-based lunchbox ideas”. If you’re more of a visual person, here’s the video! It also features three other vegan and easy lunchbox recipes, and I hope you enjoy it!
To make this chickpea filling you’ll need:
- Cooked chickpeas – if canned, rinse and drain them first, to get rid of extra salt.
- Red onion.
- Hummus – I have two recipes here on the blog, and many more to come. This Sundried Tomato & Basil Hummus and this Hummus Green Goddess. Use whichever you have on hand or whichever you like!
- Fresh herbs – I used parsley!
- Salt, pepper, chili flakes, turmeric, and ground cumin. Lemon juice, mustard and garlic.
Chickpea Filling Sandwich
- Half cup cooked chickpeas
- Half a red onion
- 2 c. de sopa hummus
- Small bunch of parsley
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 c. de sopa mustard
- 1 or 2 tbsp lemon juice depending on your taste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- Half a tsp ground cumin
- Pepper and salt to taste
Sandwich or toast
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread or 4, if you’re going for a sandwich
- Half an avocado
- Veggies of your choosing kale, spinach, cucumber, red bell pepper…
- Add to a food processor all of the filling ingredients.
- Process everything, without over-processing, so we have some remaining chunks for texture.
- Spread a nice amount of this filling on a slice of whole-grain bread, add some veggies of your choosing, and top with some sliced avocado.
- Sprinkle with some pepper and chilly flakes and that’s it.
- Have it as a toast or top with a second slice of bread to have as a sandwich.
You can instead mash this paste with a fork or with a potato masher, just remember to finely chop the onion and the parsley and crush the garlic clove in advance.
As this is a super versatile filling, you can add any other ingredient of your likings, like other herbs or pickles, for example.
Adoro ver as vossas recriações das receitas do Zest. Se experimentarem esta receita não se esqueçam de fotografá-la e marcar @zest.andthecity no Instagram ou usar a hashtag #zestandthecity, so I can see and share your remakes. Join our community on Instagram, Facebook e YouTube! Love, Ana ❤️