Crumble, any type of crumble… One of my favorite desserts of all times. I could easily eat it for breakfast, snack and dessert. My mother used to do it with pear and apple and call it “formigos”. It was (and still is) absolutely delicious, but I decided to add it my own twist by making it healthy, vegan and a little bit sharper. So today I bring you this apple and red berries crisp with walnuts.
This recipe is so healthy you can perfectly have it as a snack, dessert and breakfast. It has the sweetness of the apples, the crispiness of the crumble and the tartness of the berries. You can compliment it with some vanilla vegan ice cream (just make sure you go for a wholesome homemade ice cream or a healthy store-bought version) or with some greek plant-based yogurt to pack your snack or breakfast with some protein.
To make this healthy apple crisp you will need – apples (I used honey crisp), frozen red berries, any type of flour (I used spelt, but buckwheat, oat flour or rye will work too), rolled oats, coconut oil, chopped walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Healthy Apple and Red Berries Crisp
- 4 Apples
- 1 Handful red berries
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 5 Walnut halves
- Cinnamon to taste
- First preheat oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- Start by peeling and cutting the apples in small cubes.
- Add the apples, the cinnamon and 1 tbsp of water to a small pan or, if you want to make things easier, to a container microwave safe with lid to cook the apple in the microwave. Give it a mix.
- Let it cook covered on low to medium heat for 5 minutes. Or for 3 to 4 minutes on the microwave.
- In the mean time prepare the crisp
- 4.1. Start by chopping the walnuts.
- 4.2. Then add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix them with your hands.
- Add the apples to a ramekin and cover them with some red berries and the crumble mixture.
- Cook them in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the crumble is golden!