These Berry-filled Healthier Chocolate Muffins are so flavorful and the perfect sweet snack, dessert or breakfast. Made with wholesome ingredients and so easy to prepare!
If you’re more of a visual learner here’s a creepy Halloween special video that features this recipe:
Ingredients you’ll need for these Berry-filled Healthier Chocolate Muffins:
Strawberries and raspberries – for a zesty and sweet filling.
Cacao powder – not cocoa powder, that usually has added sugars.
Backyard eggs – although we eat mostly plant-based, we still eat some backyard eggs from time to time. As long as the chickens are happy, we’re happy!
Banana – these muffins are perfect for using bananas that are overripe to avoid wasting.
Instant coffee – that I love to add to chocolate recipes to enhance the chocolate flavor.
Vanilla extract and a syrupy sweetener like honey, maple or agave.
Unsweetened plant-based milk – preferably oat, soy or almond for their neutral flavor.
Oat flour and/or whole wheat flour and/or all-purpose flour.
Other desserts you might enjoy!
Vegan & Healthier Plum Crumble
Tropical Healthy and Vegan Panna Cotta
Banana Berries Chocolate Shell Nice Cream
Healthy-ish Santa Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 Minutes Vegan & Healthy Brownie For One
Healthy Apple and Red Berries Crisp
Berry-filled Healthier Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup and a half of strawberries and raspberries can be frozen
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 backyard eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 maple syrup honey, sugar-free syrup or agave syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup of creamy and runny almond or peanut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 to 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup oat flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour can sub oat or whole-wheat flour for a more wholesome version of the muffins
- Pinch of salt
- Add one cup and a half of strawberries and raspberries to a pot.
- Put the pot to heat in low to medium heat, and let the berries reduce until they get into a jam consistency.
- After about 10 minutes, it should be ready. Turn off the heat and reserve!
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- In a big bowl mash 2 very ripe bananas.
- Add the rest of the liquid ingredients and mix well by hand or in a blender.
- Add the dry ingredients and involve without overmixing.
- Prepare your muffin trays with muffin paper cups or grease them with some vegan butter and sprinkle with some flour.
- Fill a third of the tin with the chocolate batter, then add half to a teaspoon of berries in the middle and fill the pan with the dough up to 2 thirds for the muffin to have space to grow.
- Garnish with lots of dairy-free chocolate chips on top.
- Place in the oven for 18 minutes or until they’re cooked inside.
I love seeing pictures of your remakes of Zest’s recipes. If you try these Berry-filled Healthier Chocolate Muffins, snap a picture and tag @analucasrebelo on Instagram or use the hashtag #zestandthecity, so I can see and share your remakes. If you want to find more plant-based recipes, tips on nutrition, healthy habits, and productivity, join our community on Instagram, Facebook and, YouTube! Wishing you an amazing and healthy week!